Cranberry Almond Flax Muffins
Makes 12-14 muffins, serving size is 2
2 cups organic cranberries, fresh or frozen (sub raspberries if desired)
½ cup water
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1½ cups almond flour (also called almond meal)
1 cup flax meal (also called ground flax)
1¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup real maple syrup (organic, grade B)
(Optional: add ½ cup chopped walnuts for a little crunch)
- Grease muffin tin with coconut oil or line with muffin liners
- In a small pot, mix berries, water, and lemon juice. Simmer over medium-low heat stirring occasionally until the berries have released their juice and the liquid has thickened, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine almond flour, flax meal, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the berries, vanilla, maple syrup, and eggs, whisking gently until well mixed.
- Stir in the dry ingredients (almond meal mixture), combining well.
- Fill baking cups about ¾ full.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes at 325, or until the tops are firm and just beginning to brown around the edges.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes before eating.