Need a healthy kick? Try this recipe for Spicy Bean and Lentil Soup. It's a healthy, vegan, and super easy to pull together. Plus it's delicious hot or cold, so you can stash it in the work fridge for lunch. Let us know what you think!
Spicy Bean and Lentil soup
Prep time: 10 min Cook time 30 min
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion (sliced)
3 garlic cloves chopped
4 large tomatoes chopped
2 cups of water
1 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp paprika (regular or smoked)
1 tsp turmeric
½ cup red lentils
1 can organic chickpeas
1 can organic red kidney beans
1 lemon (squeeze in)
1 handful of spinach (you can also swap the spinach for any greens; kale is delicious as is spring greens.
kale or baby greens)
- Sauté the sliced onion in olive oil on medium heat for approximately 10 minutes until soft
- Add in garlic and the spices to the mix and sauté for 1 more minute
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, cook for a few minutes until they soften then pour in ½ cup of lentils and 2 cups of water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until lentils are soft.
- Add in the chickpeas and beans, spinach, squeeze fresh lemon juice, and add salt& pepper. Cook until spinach has wilted.
- Top with chili flakes for extra spice, pine nuts, & enjoy with a side of quinoa or flatbread